Welcome!

We started this blog in 2010 after a New Years' Resolution to read 60 books between the two of us. (40 for C, 20 for D.) After reaching our goal, we decided to keep going in 2011. This year, C has pledged to read 30 books, and D will read 12. By no means are we professional reviewers; we're not even professional bloggers. We're just two people who love to read and decided to share our thoughts and offer our limited insights. We hope you enjoy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book #7: Of Mice and Men

:(

:(

:(

:(

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is essentially all I have to say.









Alright, alright. I'll try to say something constructive. This is my first Steinbeck book ever (how did I graduate high school without reading anything by Steinbeck?), and I apparently didn't know that his entire purpose is to make you miserably depressed. I'm sure it didn't help that I had just finished Roseflower Creek, which was horribly sad, and I really didn't need to read something like this immediately afterward.

I mean... Steinbeck is clearly a brilliant writer. I have no problem with his writing. I liked how the dialogue was written realistically, I liked his characterization, I liked everything EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT IT WAS HEART-BREAKING. :(

A friend of mine who teaches middle school English pointed out that this story is perhaps the greatest example of foreshadowing ever. Excellent point.

I really don't know what else to say. I'm torn because I enjoyed the book itself, and I am actually sort of obsessed with it, because it's all I've thought about for days, but... I don't want to pretend like I loved it, because I actually hated it... but not because it was bad. This makes no sense.

Curse you, Steinbeck.

Read from February 20, 2011 to February 22, 2011

3/5 stars

--C

No comments:

Post a Comment